In many Asian countries, the New Year is based on the lunar calendar and is dictated by the first new moon and ends on the full moon. In the case of the Chinese calendar, each New Year is marked by the characteristics of one of the 12 zodiacal animals: the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig.
In the first part of a 2 part blog series, we start off by reflecting on the Year of the Horse and 2014. In the second installment, we look ahead to the Year of the Goat which began on February 19th 2015.
Wi-Fi and Security Thought Leadership
Looking back on the year that was for AirTight thought leadership, we have a 6 notables to single out.
- Industry Recognition
- Strategic Partnerships
- Top AirTight Content
- Industry and AirTight Domain & Subject Matter Expertise
- Most Prolific AirTight Blog Author
- Mojo Wireless Mobile Responsive Design
1) Industry Recognition
Each year, CRN Test Center’s Tech Innovator Award program recognizes companies that deliver outstanding innovation in hardware and software solutions specifically developed for the enterprise. To determine the 2014 winners and also those worthy of honorable mention CRN Test Center editors reviewed hundreds of products across 18 hardware and software categories. The AirTight team is thrilled that the C-75 802.11ac access point took top honors in the 2014 wireless category.
Back in September 2014, AirTight Networks was honored with two industry awards. AirTight won a 2014 Cloudys Cloud Channel Innovation Award and a Gold status from 2014 Golden Bridge Awards. In addition, Anita Pandey – AirTight Vice President of Marketing – was named to the @CRN 100 People You Don’t Know But Should 2014 list.
2) Strategic Patnerships
Greg Griffiths, VP Retail Solutions for Earthlink Business, discusses the value of AirTight's Wi-Fi soutions for "small box" retailers.
Earthlink Discusses AirTight Partnership for Secure Wi-Fi by CRN via YouTube
IHL Group, retail research firm, AirTight Networks and EarthLink recently partnered to conduct one of the first-ever studies that provides insights into the retail industry’s plans for store networking, WiFi, security and engagement.
What the survey showed:
- 82% of large to medium-sized retail participants have already deployed in-store WiFi
- 57% of enterprise retail participants offer both customer and employee WiFi
- 28% of retailers report that customer loyalty increased due to deploying in-store customer WiFi
- 70% of retail participants currently outsource their store level WAN to managed service providers
- 34% of retail participants will update their store level WiFi technologies in 2015
— AirTight Networks (@Airtight) November 11, 2014
3) Is Your Mobile in Sleep Mode?
The most popular AirTight blog series (of all time) was authored by Troubleshooting Pro and Principal Systems Engineer Bhupinder Misra. Published in late September 2014, the iOS8 blog series, inclusive of its SlideShare companion, has garnered over 48,000 readers and continues to get strong daily views. It received numerous mentions including some in the Washington Post, Gizmodo and The Verge.
The iOS8 blog series provides detailed information on the iOS8 MAC Randomization feature and analyzes its impact on Wi-Fi locationing and analytics solutions in general. Find out about certain conditions under which iOS8 may randomize the devices MAC address, while in other conditions it may use the device’s authentic MAC address.
iOS8 Blog Series by Bhupinder Misra.
4) Notable Content: Domain & Subject Matter Expertise is the Sweet Spot
The Year of the Horse was marked by top industry voices.
- The name says it all: Wireless Field Day (WFD)
- Mike Leibovitz hosts “On The Fly Wi-Fi” – a monthly webcast focused on all matters of mobility. Be sure to check out upcoming webcast episodes as well as the on-demand archive
- Lee Badman always has plenty to say! Check out his contributions to the Network Computing Magazine column on Information Week.
- Did someone say “one AP per classroom”? Read about Keith R. Parsons' take on that subject. Also, you won’t want to miss out on WLAN Professionals Conference (view video the archive).
- Who to follow >> look no further than Glenn Cate’s blogroll
- Wi-Fi Troubleshooting: Guilty until Proven Innocent by Bhupinder Misra
- Troubleshooting Tales from Distributed Wi-Fi Environments by Hemant Chaskar via SlideShare for Wireless Professionals Conference 2015
- The Hunt for Rogue October by Rick Farina for WLAN Professionals Conference Europe
- What is the CxOs to do? Whether you’re a CEO, CMO, CIO/CSO, or COO, your organization’s future must have a stake with cloud Wi-Fi. Dr. Kaustubh Phanse, VP of Content and Product Design at AirTight Networks keynotes at CRN’s NexGenCloud Conference.
- Wire-Side Containment – Hidden Gem of Rogue Access Point Protection by Hemant Chaskar
- What Facebook friends info is shared during social login, and does it spam them? by Hemant Chaskar for Wireless Field Day 7
- What’s Under the Hood in Wi-Fi Analytics by Kevin McCauley
- How Long Will Wi-Fi Protect You from Carrier Monetization Programs? by Ksenia Coffman
- Google Pushing HTTPS Further: Implications for Public Facing Wi-Fi Security, Advertising and Analytics by Hemant Chaskar
- WeChat – This is how Social Wi-Fi is done in China by Rohan Raheja
5) Most Prolific @AirTight Author: and the award goes to ….
This should come as no surprise to regular Mojo Wireless readers. The most prolific Mojo Wireless blog author is Doctor Hemant Chaskar who wrote 11 posts in the last year. You can easily access all of them from here. In particular, “Understanding FCC decision regarding Wi-Fi containment at Marriott” was a much talked about topic in 2014 and some of Hemant’s most popular content.
Understanding FCC decision regarding Wi-Fi containment at Marriott via AirTight blog
Companion SlideShare: Marriott Fined 600K by FCC for Blocking Guests Wi-Fi
TT - Network Ops in WIPS Deployments from Keith R. Parsons on Vimeo. SlideShare Companion: Staying on Top of Security and Spectrum Rules in WIPS Deployments by Hemant Chaskar (WLAN Professionals Conference – February 2015)
6) Out with the Old Look, In with Mojo Wireless!
At about the same time as the iOS8 blog series was published, AirTight migrated its blog platform to a Mojo Wireless mobile responsive design.
In addition to being friendly to all types of devices, the mobile friendly theme enables readers to easily find the latest posts and also search the site for topics of interest.
Year of the Goat
Be sure to read the second installment of this blog series as we look ahead to the Year of the Goat which began on February 19th 2015.
- WLAN Professionals Conference by Keith R. Parsons >> view the video + slideware archive
- FCC-Marriott WiFi Blocking Fine Opens Pandora’s Box by Lee Badman via InformationWeek Network Computing (October 7th 2014)
- Kaustubh Phanse talks 4Cs and The Future with Cloud Wi-Fi via Airtight blog [includes SlideShare + video]
- 802.11ac WLAN Sales on a Tear via Airtight blog [includes market research info]
- IHL Group Store Infrastructure Survey, 2015 Preliminary Results -> infographic
- Download the Ebook: “A Guide for Wireless Customer Engagement and Security”
- AirTight webinar archive [on-demand]